If you are a true cheese lover, then you will appreciate the existence of the fabulous small biz Pong Cheese. A cheese lovers dream of the finest cheese delivered straight to your door (with frozen ice-gel packs to preserve the cheeses). What could be any better?!
“Pong was created to bring you some of the very best cheeses produced by the leading independent and artisan producers in the UK, complemented with some classics from Europe.”
Every year towards Christmas I host a little cheese and wine party, and carefully select my cheeses. This year, I was lucky enough to be sent a fantastic selection by Pong Cheese as part of their Christmas Extravaganza Box. When it first arrived, I know we were in for a real treat. The cheese was individually packaged, some in the coolest of packaging and smelt fabulous. I got my cheese out about 90 minutes before and then arranged it on my slate serving board, along with some super cool cheese knives I’ve got.
Here’s a quick rundown on the cheese that made our evening, taken from their website:
- Harrogate Blue 375g – a soft, luxuriously creamy and blue-veined cheese delivering a mellow flavour with a hint of pepper to finish.
- Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar 454g – a creamy Cheddar with earthy characteristics and a distinctly nutty flavour. Brilliant with a good ale!
- Valencay 220g – incredible ash-coated goat’s cheese from Indre in central France
- La Retorta 130g – a smooth, dense and creamy texture and ochre and pungent rind with aromas of mustard and dry hay. This gorgeous ewe’s milk Spanish cheese is usually eaten by cutting off the ‘lid’ and being spooned out. Amazing.
- Delice de Bourgogne 200g – A deliciously decadent triple-cream cheese from Burgundy with a rich and full flavour.
Honestly, all of these luxurious cheese were simply delicious. For just £48.95 this was a stinking (pardon the pun!) bargain. I kept getting up for more (and so did everyone else!) but I have to say I found the Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar and Valencay so addictive. The flavours were amazing and served with a bit of chutney it was a fabulous pairing!
We had some tasty water crackers, a basket of crusty bread and a chutney I got in my Handpicked Hamper. But also some nuts, celery, olives and grapes and chilli sables from this crate, to have on the side of the plate. Not to forget the selection of cured meats too! Wine was in full flow and the whole evening was perfect so a big thank you to Pong Cheese for making this happen!
I did take note of some of the other comments flying around the room which included ‘simply the best and most beautiful selection of cheese I’ve had’, ‘the Harrogate blue is gorgeous with a cracker and spoonful of chutney’, ‘I love the La Retorta, it’s full of flavour and lovely on the crusty bread’.
Glass of wine in one hand and plate in the other, this was a Pong Cheese and wine party not to be missed! You can buy individual cheeses, gift boxes or opt for joining their wonderful cheese club. Whatever you choose, you will be in cheese heaven!!
*I was sent a cheese gift box to review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own*